Sunday, August 28, 2011

music is my muse

sometimes i forget what a healing tool music can be, and how cathartic it is to just sit (and or dance) to your favorite songs. sometimes i forget what a nice break my musical collection is from the satellite radio station we have to listen to at work that only plays 10 songs, on repeat. sometimes i forget what a great gift a burnt cd can be when you're feeling poor- it's homemade, free, and straight from the heart.

i made my sister a "back 2 school" cd for her second year of teaching. it's nice for her to have something to listen to on the 30 minute commute she has back & forth each day.

also- i revisted some of my favorite "chrisitan" artists that i still keep on my i-pod, such as Jars of Clay, Plumb, and a few others. these particular albums i kept because the poetry is great, and they're musically ept without being too "i only want to have a relationship with Jesus because everyone else is dumb" or "i'll make up a love song but say its for God so it's not too streamlined" kind of lyrics. does that make sense?

anyway. i don't have much else to say except for that i love music. and i miss being in a musical group and using my creativity in that outlet. sometimes i think it's really affected me....in a negative way i mean. once upon a time, playing a instrument (or 2, or singing, etc) used to be my life. it was therapeutic, was something i was talented at, and made me feel good about myself. then in college it became more of a chore and more of a competition and with time it seems i lost my first love. i put my clarinet away. i was no longer good enough to be in choir. and i couldn't seem to make it past advanced intermediate piano lessons because i couldn't manage stacked chords.

so its good to remember what used to make me tick. sometimes i dance, sometimes i sing a long, and sometimes- once in a blue moon now adays- i play. but most of all i just sit, think and listen to music, if just for the sake of listening and being inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment