Thursday, July 8, 2010

stickers

before i could afford/choose my own clothes, shoes, purses, etc., stickers were a form of expressing myself.

this evening as i was leaving wal-mart, i was enchanted; a sentence i never thought i would say. but after picking up the necessary items an unemployed women of my stance needs (e.g. mountain dew and ibprofen) i noticed a female employee at the exit handing out wal-mart logo stickers to small children. and i smiled, remembering my not so far from current obsession with that stationery "must have".

when i was younger stickers were my life. they were worth more than gold. in fact, if i got money for my birthday, or christmas, i would go out and buy more stickers. i had sticker books, containers for stickers, a sticker making machine, the list goes on. i adorned all of my favorite objects with my favorite stickers; there were the adhesives of cats on my phone, self-made stickers on my school supplies, and generally anywhere else i had been you would find glossy prints of cute animals, or flourescently colored shapes to make everything look better. sort of like a non-cryptic note saying "sarah was here."

and sometimes its easy to forget where you come from, and what used to make you happy. its important to remember, and i was glad for the little reminder in an insignificant place, at an insignificant time.

so here's to the small things in life: may they never be out of style.

1 comment: