Wednesday, February 24, 2010

common human decency

aka-gentleness,
being polite,
common courtesy


is this really that hard to come by? most days it seems so.

i would like to get through at least one day where someone doesn't yell at me, cut me off, or without hearing the same things happen to people all around me.

working where i do makes it hard to find an appropriate "personality" for being on the job. i don't want to just read off a script like a robot, but where is the line between being amiable and being professional; between being curt and simply being rude?

it seems a lot of lines are blurred when my job has no challenge except for the intermittent prayers that the next employer i call will "be nice" to me. how sad that that's my biggest worry. but for a job that holds no other joy or fulfillment, i suppose my expectations are low. in someways this can be good because i don't have that far to fall, and the little things are what make my day. but most of the time i find it utterly exhausting that finding common human decency is like finding a needle in a haystack.

and most of the people i call day by day are generally congenial, but as the saying goes, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin the bushel.

and i just want to emphasize how important gentleness is. whether it be speaking softly, walking without shaking the floor, or not slamming your fists on your desk everytime you get angry. my new cubicle neighbor does all of the above without avail, and not only does it make me on edge, but she is also very snobby and impatient to all of the employers we call. thus, creating a bad relationship with them, and therefore its no reason why eventually they are rude to the rest of us who have to call them the next time.

it may all sound like petty worries or concerns, but i miss laughing. because with this type of menial work its good to laugh and sometimes even be apathetic, otherwise the negatives control your life. i don't want that to happen to me but its really hard to be optimistic when i'm sitting next to someone like this.

any suggestions? should i ask to be moved?

the thing i miss the most about my previous job- i could insert headphones and listen to my ipod to help drown out all the unecessaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment